[SimpleMail-usr] Re: ARexx - ADDRNEW

  • From: "AmigaPhil" <AmigaPhil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: simplemail-usr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 15 Aug 2009 22:51:5 +0100

I have finished the script to import Thor's address book to SimpleMail.
It is rather rudimentary, but it imports successfully all the names and
emails found in the text file (previously exproted from Thor).  The
aliases could be imported as well, but it seems this field has not the
same use/limitation for both programs.  The available 'comment' field
from Thor is ignored for now.

When importing, the more addresses are added, slower the script runs.
I think this is due to the fact that the contact list is sorted each
time a new entry is added.  New ADDRLISTFREEZE and ADDRLISTHAW could
benefit SimpleMail here (I'll add this to the feature wishlist later).

In the meantime, I downloaded Yam 2.5 to have a look at its docs.  I
found that many ARexx commands are similar, so I'm taking the missing
guilines from there...

I wrote:
> I have a "comment" field in Thor's address book I would like to import
> as "description" in SimpleMail's contacts, but there is no DESCRIPTION
> argument for the ADDRNEW command.
> Can I do that with using a stem. ?  How ?

After trials and errors, I conclude that "description" is not
supported as arguments for ADDRNEW (Yam's ADDRNEW is also limited
to the same NAME, EMAIL, and ALIAS arguments)
(Something for the feature wishlist as well: DESCRIPTION, PGPID, ...)

> Is the "alias" field mandatory or can it be left empty ?
> If mandatory (or recommended), can I default it to the name ?

I asked this because I saw that the ADDRGOTO command take the alias
as argument, and was wondering is the alias was used as a key to
find a unique entry (it is not the case in Thor where the alias field
can be used as a group appartenance flag).

Quoted from Yam's doc., about ADDRNEW :

-----
NOTES
     At least one of ALIAS, NAME or EMAIL should be specified.  Bogus
     types are simply ignored.

     If the provided alias exists already, a new alias will be used
     instead by taking the supplied string and adding a trailing
     number until no clash is produced.  String limits are also taken
     into account.

     If no alias is provided, one will be created automatically by
     using a cut-down version of the NAME or EMAIL arguments; for
     instance, "Jose Luis Feliciano" would turn into "J_Feliciano",
     or "Jose" if Jose@xxxxxxxxxxx was the only argument provided.
     The rule mentioned above is also applied.

     If the address book window is closed at the time the new entry
     is added, it won't count as a change in the address book, which
     means you won't be warned if you try to quit YAM afterwards
     without saving the address book.

     While using spaces in aliases is possible, it is discouraged.
-----

This does not work the same way in SimpleMail.
After a new entry is added, a missing alias is not created, and
there is no check to avoid duplicate aliases.

Well, after this first attempt to import data from Thor, I think
I would better do it the other way: write a script for Thor to
export to other mailers. ;-)

AmigaPhil