[sib-access] Re: writing for unpitched percussion

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:33:02 +0100

Vytautas,

This is a complex topic and I can't really summarise it in one email, but
hear goes.

Unpitched percussion staves don't work like other staves. Each line or space
represents a physical instrument. For instance, a bongo staff will have two
lines, with the top line for the high bongo and the bottom line for the low
bongo. So, to get the right sound out of Sibelius, you must put the note on
the correct line of the staff.

Each unpitched percussion instrument has its own "map" which maps a line or
space on the staff to a sound in the sound set.

Each line or space is also represented by a specific pitch. Unfortunately,
the pitch which represents each line changes depending on how many lines the
staff has. You can summarise it thus,

1 line: B4.
2 lines: G4, D4. The Space between  the lines is B4.
3 lines: G4, B4, D4. Spaces are A4 and C4.
4 lines, F4, A4, C5, E5. Spaces are G4, B4, C5 and E5.
5 lines: E4, G4, B5, D5, F5. Spaces are F4, A4, C5 and E5.

EG: in a 2 line bongo staff, the top line is D5, the space between the lines
is B4 and the bottom line is G4. The top line is mapped to the high bongo
sound and the bottom line is assigned to the low bongo sound. I usually
resist the urge to write equations in emails but in this case, it's the
quickest way to make the point.

D5 = top line = high bongo sound
B4 = space = unassigned
G4 = bottom line = low bongo sound

To put this in flowery prose; you can't just use any pitch you like. You
must stick to the pitches which represent the lines or spaces. So, in the
bongo example, enter a G4 to get the low bongo and D5 to get the high bongo.
The space note doesn't do anything in this example.

There some very complicated mappings, especially the standard drum set,
which needs you to use different shaped note heads to get at some sounds.

Hope this helps (even just a little),

Dan Rugman

visit the new on-line resource for visually impaired musicians and home of
Sibelius Access.
www.musicaccess.co.uk