[sib-access] Re: beam groupings

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:08:08 +0100

Unfortunately, there are some things we need sighted assistance for, and
these kind of bulk proof-reading jobs fall right into that camp. The key is
to think ahead. You're proof-reader will need to look over the score before
you hand it in.

The best thing to do is find a couple of fellow students who you trust to do
a good job and persuade them to help out. In some countries there are funds
available for disabled students, if not, then you may be able to come to
some other "friendly" arrangement.

You should also think about which assignments really need to look good. A
draft will have to be rewritten and proof-read again, so it's best to leave
the proofing until you're happy with the music. You should have any score
proof-read before it gets played, even it's just a draft; performers don't
like playing from badly laid out scores.

You should also try to determine if there is anything you can do whilst
inputting the notes in the first place to avoid incorrect beaming. I check
these things as I go. There's always a chance that things might get
disturbed at a later time but at least I can be confident that the beaming
was correct when I put it in.

As a general comment: beaming is extremely important because it implies
things about the way in which the notes should be played - the word
"grouping" is not used arbitrarily - so, it's important to get it right.

Finally, I never met a professor who wasn't "picky" about notation; we
should all aspire to this.

Dan Rugman

visit the new on-line resource for visually impaired musicians and home of
Sibelius Access.
www.musicaccess.co.uk