[SI-LIST] Re: tDQSCK

  • From: "Peterson, James F \(EHCOE\)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:43:05 -0600

Edi,

Although DQS can occur before CK, tDQSCK is not really jitter. In other
words it's not a cycle by cycle variant - more a long term delay. So
it's shifts, but doesn't "shrink".

I assume this is a read cycle (since you're looking at the DDR driving
DQS). Isn't the most important timing the delay between DQS and DQ? And
this is not directly influenced by tDQSCK. (only indirectly when you
cross clock domains back at the controller during a read cycle.)=20

If I'm correct in my above assumption then you are indeed seeing a
timing violation. And you should. DDR SDRAM does not put DQS in the
middle of the DQ "eye". You have to do it either in the controller or on
the pcb.=20

DDR SDRAM is very spoiled : it insists that during a write cycle that
the controller takes care of tSU/tHOLD between DQS and DQ and during a
read cycle, as it outputs DQS and DQ, it makes the same demand.

(a word of caution, my reply is very relative to DDR1, I'm not
absolutely sure about DDR2)=20

Jim Peterson
Honeywell