[SI-LIST] Re: split plane

  • From: Shelesh Somani <shelesh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Nitin.Sood@xxxxxxx, weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:42:47 +0530

Nitin,
First of all as Steve mentioned you need to copper balance your
stack-up. The best you can do by having Ground /Power plane + Signal
on S1.

Now coming to your query. If Synchronous data bus is running over
split, there should be a a good de-coupling between the planes (on
which traces are crossing the split) to provide return path. You can
do this by putting de-caps between both the planes near splits.

But I see one more issue in the satck-up:  S1 traces may have cross
talk with S2 traces if they are overlapping each other. That should be
taken care.

Shelesh=20

On 4/12/05, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nitin,  Sa, Sb, S2, and Sd are suitable to high edge rate signals.  P and
> S1 need to be copper balanced.  S1 only has return path to the extent tha=
> signals match copper on P.  The best that I could recommend would be to
> weave power / ground / signals on P and S1 rather than trying to place
> power only on P.
>=20
> Steve
>=20
> At 01:41 PM 4/11/2005 -0700, Nitin Sood wrote:
>=20
> >Hi Doug,
> >
> >The total board thickness is ~ 60 mills and with the following =3D
> >dielectric
> >thickness. The data bus in question is routed on S1. Power plane P is =
=3D
> >split.
> >
> >Sa
> >Dielectric thickness=3D3D 4.3
> >Dielectric thickness =3D3D 4.5
> >Sb
> >Dielectric thickness =3D3D 14.3
> >Dielectric thickness =3D3D 4.5
> >S1
> >Dielectric thickness =3D3D 13.5
> >S2
> >Dielectric thickness =3D3D 4.5
> >Dielectric thickness =3D3D 4.3
> >Sd
> >
> >I hope this helps.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Nitin

Gatos, CA =3D
> >95031-1457
> >     _ / \     / \ _            TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
> >   /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \          Mobile:  408-858-4528
> >|  q-----( )  |  o  |         Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
> >   \ _ /    ]    \ _ /          Web:     http://www.dsmith.org

> >//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> >For help: