[SI-LIST] Re: spatial resolution and effective rise time of VNA with TDR time-domain option

  • From: "Dima Smolyansky" <Dima.Smolyansky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Istvan Novak" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:44:18 -0800

Hello, Istvan:

I respectfully disagree with your application of 0.35/BW rule to estimate
the rise time of a time domain option in a VNA. As you yourself pointed out,
the windowing and other processing affects the achievable rise time. As a
result, a 20 Ghz network analyzer does not even come close to providing 17ps
rise time as the 0.35/BW equation would implicate. As a matter of fact, as
far
as I know you will need to use a 40 Ghz VNA to get approximately 30 ps rise
time.

Now, if we try to apply the rule that Jan mentioned to the example above:
15cm/bandwidth. Let's use 40 Ghz as an example; the equation seem to suggest
that we can resolve 0.375cm. In vacuum (Er=1) this would equal approximately
12.5ps, if my math does not fail me. That is just under 1/2 the rise time;
seems like the equation works in this case at least.

Having referred to the 1/2 the rise time being the figure of merit for
resolution, I should mention that it applies to the effective rise time;
that is, the actual rise time that can be slowed down by the losses in the
DUT by the time it reaches the point of interest. In addition, there are
well developed comparative techniques, commonly used with TDR oscilloscopes,
which allow one to resolve things which are much smaller than half the rise
time of TDR.

Finally, not to reject the rule of 0.35/BW; it is, of course, known to be a
good estimate which allows one to convert the rise time of a Gaussian or
almost Gaussian digital signal into its 3dB bandwidth and vice versa.

Thanks,

Dima Smolyansky
TDA Systems, Inc.
11140 SW Barbur Blvd., Suite 100