[SI-LIST] Re: rush of current at power on

  • From: Aravind Sandeep <aravind.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sunil bharadwaz <sunil_bharadwaz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:40:04 -0700

Hi Sunil,
Perhaps you are alluding to the concept called Inrush current, issue
associated with any electronic designs
Inrush current or input surge current refers to the maximum, instantaneous
input
current drawn by any Electronic design.This is because the capacitor offer
very less impedance when
immediately after the input voltage is connected.

There are several component options available to limit inrush current .The
two most common alternatives are the use of NTC (Negative Temperature
Coefficient) thermistors or various forms of active circuits.

Thank You,
Aravind

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM, sunil bharadwaz <sunil_bharadwaz@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Hi ,
> we are designing a Communication system (Microprocessor , VHF Transceiver ,
> Clock
> circuitry , digital logic & etc).
>
> We are seeing some peak currents at power on for few tens of microsec.We
> are seeing
> about 900 mA of current at the power on before it settles to normal levels.
>
>  where as in normal operation we are seeing about 200 mA which is correct.
>
> Pls see if you any inputs to mitigate this effect apart from using some
> Inductors
> in the input supply path.
>
> regards
> Sunil bharadwaz.