[SI-LIST] Re: routing of DDR clock signals

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steve Weir" <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>, james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:27:47 -0700

Steve,

Well put.

I'd route the two signals over the plane named "ground" for the memory to
reduce chances of coupling supply noise (ripple) into the clock as well.

Lee W. Ritchey
Speeding Edge
P. O. Box 2194
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
Phone- 707-568-3983
FAX-    707-568-3504

I just used the energy it took to be angry to write some blues.
Count Basie

CK#=20
> >than normal signals.  Then the differential impedance will be close to
2X=20
> >the normal mode impedance of each line.  Additionally, timing
aberrations=20
> >caused by crosstalk can be reduced by affording 5H spacing between
either=20
> >CK or CK# and the nearest outside neighbor signal.  Remember that you
are=20
> >matching electrical length.  The easiest way to do that is to keep the=20
> >physical routes reasonably close together and then match physical length.
> >
> >Steve
> >
> >At 01:38 PM 8/16/2004 +0200, Henrik Gild wrote:
> > >Hi!
> > >
> > >This is my first post to this list. Looking at some previous posts I'm
sure
> > >you'll be able to answer this one for me:
> > >
> > >When routing DDR SDRAM signals (ordinary DDR1, 166MHz, DDR333), should
the
> > >CK and CK# lines be treated as a differential pair or just like any
other
> > >signals (like DQ or DQS) only that they should be of equal length? I
had a
> > >look in the datasheet on the MT46V16M16 from Micron and it didn't say
> > >anything about differential clock lines, just that the signal edges
has to
> > >coincide time-wise. But the clock signals were described as
differential in
> > >their IBIS model...
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >/Henrik Gild=E5, B.S.CE

> > >or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
> > >//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> > >
> > >For help:
> > >si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
> > >
> > >List FAQ wiki page is located at:
> > >                 http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
> > >
> > >List technical documents are available at:
> > >                 http://www.si-list.org
> > >
> > >List archives are viewable at:
> > >                 //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> > >or at our remote archives:
> > >Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
> [...]

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: