[SI-LIST] Re: proper Rref for return loss sim

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: agathon <hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 00:38:31 -0800

If you are seeing peaks at specific distances, as Jory has already
pointed out, then you are seeing modal effects.  No matter what you
should not be introducing new discontinuities.  The portion of the
channel that is under your control, including its termination should be
self-consistent, and it should match your best evaluation of the portion
that you do not control.

Steve
agathon wrote:
> [...]
> measurement Rref:
> Rref=50 then I have mstrip Z0=50 is optimal and Rref < 50 is worse.
> Rref=Z0 of mstrip, I get the OPPOSITE.  Then, Z0 is optimal, even when it's
> 40 ohms.  THAT'S 10 OHMS DIFFERENCE.  I'm sure I could continue the sweeps
> and get even worse contradiction.
>
> These are given / cannot change:
> Die & pkg sparam models use Rref=50.
> Pkg Z0 = 42.5 nom. and pkg Zeven ~ Zodd.
>
> Thanks for revisiting this.
>

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 5:08 PM, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> If by chance the die is using 50 Ohms while the package is 42.5, then
>> unless the package Tx line is very short, there is little you can do about
>> that discontinuity.  Your best bet is to keep the remainder of the channel
>> at a constant impedance matched to that of the package.  The ustrip and
>> termination should both match the package at 42.5 Ohms.
>>
>> Steve.
>>
>> agathon wrote:
>>

>>> Hello All,
>>> It's real simple.
>>>
>>>  ................ BACKGROUND  ....................
>>>
>>> I'm asked to optimize the RL to be measured on a test board (tb) that will
>>> evaluate an asic serdes io cell.
>>> In general, RL depends on the measurement Rref, since some signal at
>>> measurement node will include that node's own reflections.
>>>
>>>          asic -- pkg --|---  microstrip -- cap --- microstrip (taper if
>>> necessary) -- SMP
>>>
>>> The asic diffpair cell model is a 2-port (p/n) with Rref=50.  The pkg is
>>> s-param with Rref=50 and the diffpair in the pkg has Zdiff=85 loosely
>>> coupled (Z12 ~ 1ohm).  First, I'm just looking at the die/pkg/mstrip
>>> without
>>> any cap or rightside mstrip or SMP.  I really things will change w/ those
>>> in
>>> the sim.
>>>

>>> ...............  THE QUESTION  .....................
>>>
>>> In simulation, just with mstrip to left of cap + pkg + asic, the RL is
>>> found
>>> with Rref termination at mstrip end = 50 and various mstrip Z0
>>> ([Zodd+Zeven]/2).
>>> The best to worst, against a template, is for mstrip Z0= 50, 45, 42.5, 40.
>>> Ie:  max RL.
>>>
>>>         asic -- pkg --- mstrip   <--- Rref---gnd
>>>
>>> If I change the mstrip Rref to = mstrip Z0 then the best to worst reverses
>>> order.  So, there's an issue in my mind... WTF is the "proper" Rref for
>>> the
>>> sim? The term "50 ohm system" doesn't really apply, it seems.
>>>
>>> The die Zdd11 smoothly goes:   75.6.. ~54.7 ..~94.6 ohms
>>> (@200Mhz..10GHz..18GHz) and Zcc11 (18.9.. 15.. 23.8ohms).  So, for the die
>>> the coupling is loose and the "Z0 equivalent" ranges approx. 38 .. 29 ..
>>> 47
>>> ohms.
>>>
>>> Since I'm optimizing mstrip for asic+pkg, shouldn't I be using Rref =
>>> Z0(mstrip), instead of Rref=50?  Obviously, we're lowering mstrip Z0 below
>>> 50 to better match the die & pkg and will recommend that to customers.
>>> This
>>> is for eval and for customer demo.  We're not trying to make RL
>>> unrealistically good, just trying to support accurate measurement.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the input.

>>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>>
>>> For help:
>>>

>>> List technical documents are available at:
>>>                http://www.si-list.net
>>>
>>> List archives are viewable at:
>>> //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>>>  Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
>>>                http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu
>>>

>> --
>> Steve Weir
>> IPBLOX, LLC 150 N. Center St. #211