[SI-LIST] Re: proper Rref for return loss sim

  • From: agathon <hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:52:42 -0500

Steve!  Thanks for the input.
Yes, I expect the optimal mstrip Z0 to end up being < = pkgZ0 but not
necessarily since the RL spec profile overrules all.
The question I had, though, is different -- because my RL results do a
180deg change DEPENDING ON Rref of the measurement (in simulation).
The goal is to optimize RL, mainly doing a mstrip Z0 sweep.

    --->>  But I need the "proper" Rref first because the results depend on
it.

The sweep results completely REVERSE their order of worst to best at the RL
peaks @ 11 and 18GHz.  The data rate is 17Gbps. The mstrip is 0.35 to 0.55
in.  The pkg diffpair is ~18mm.
Some of the dependence on Rref arises from reflections and SWR at the
measurement node, no doubt, so I think it's best to use Rref=mstrip_Z0.
Right???

So, I need to determine the proper measurement/sim Rref before I sweep
mstrip Z0 and make a judgement on the RL results!!

Again, the results reverse their worst-to-best order.  The cases of
measurement Rref:
Rref=50 then I have mstrip Z0=50 is optimal and Rref < 50 is worse.
Rref=Z0 of mstrip, I get the OPPOSITE.  Then, Z0 is optimal, even when it's
40 ohms.  THAT'S 10 OHMS DIFFERENCE.  I'm sure I could continue the sweeps
and get even worse contradiction.

These are given / cannot change:
Die & pkg sparam models use Rref=50.
Pkg Z0 = 42.5 nom. and pkg Zeven ~ Zodd.

Thanks for revisiting this.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: