[SI-LIST] Re: pcb board capacitors

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fred Townsend" <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, dan1_st@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:14:14 -0800

These things we call  bypass capacitors are actually coulomb buckets that
supply local charge to support switching events.  When they are not large
enough to supply the charge their terminal voltage goes down and we get
ripple.  Fix the ripple by putting large enough coulomb buckets nearby that
will operate at the frequencies of interest.

Wish we could erase the name decoupling capacitor from our vocabulary, it
misleads rather than enlightens as to the purpose of the capacitors.

Lee W. Ritchey
Speeding Edge
P. O. Box 2194
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
Phone- 707-568-3983
FAX-    707-568-3504

I just used the energy it took to be angry to write some blues.
Count Basie

http://127.0.0.1:6083/Panda?ID=pav_7481&SPAM=true

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at: