[SI-LIST] Re: loop antenna (mis)behavior

  • From: Richard Jungert <r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gene theBean <mosfet_the_gr8@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:22:37 -0700

Gene.

Try center tapping L1 and running the center tap wire thru a resistor into the
2nd stage op amp and set up U2 like a subtractor circuit. Subtract common noise
this way. Or try center tap simply to ground. To get true differential I think
you will have to center tap L1.  Center tap on L1 could also allow you to omit
R4 and R3 RIGHT?

An RF balun works this way in that the primary is like single ended and
secondary is a balanced center tapped coil on the secondary of the transformer.

Also, your loading the tuned circuit with 1K to -side of U1 which is virtual
ground. The tuned circuit is heavily loaded.
System gain will be low with all these resistors hanging on the tuned circuit.

I have designed in the past taking the ground line from a shielded RF cable
input strait into the -side of the op amp subtracting common mode noise in
video systems. It works nice.

Does this make sense?

Richard Jungert

List technical documents are available at: