[SI-LIST] hapice simulation of Z_tdr

  • From: "ZHENGGANG CHENG" <zhenggang.cheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:50:40 -0700

Hi all,
Thanks for your clear explanations!

I have another interesting question about my hspice simulation deck for
simulating the TDR Z (differential) profile (vs time):

The Z profile in the sim deck is defined as (V(t)_p - V(t)_n)/I(t). V(t)_p
is probed at the point right after source impedance (50ohms) for positive
lane, and V(t)_n is probed at the point right after source impedance
(50ohms) for negative lane. The source is a step voltage source connecting p
and n lanes.

It seems, sometimes my simulated Z  profile can be very close to
measurements, but sometimes it is not, especially for DUT with many large
discontinuities inside.

I am wondering if  (V(t)_p - V(t)_n)/I(t) is sufficient and correct to
represent the real TDR Z profile?

Look forward to your explanations. Thanks.

ZG

2007/8/31, Loyer, Jeff <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>:

>  If the S-parameters are identical, then the TDR/TDT results will likewise
> be identical (assuming proper risetime to match the frequency limit of the
> S-parameters).
>
> But you have to remember that the phase of S-parameters are just as
> critical as the magnitude (in evaluating the circuit).  Often we only
> focus on the magnitude, and forget the phase.
>
> Another caveat is that we tend to concentrate on S21, which is the
> frequency equivalent of TDT.  This can be very similar for different
> networks, even though S11 (and TDR) are dramatically different.
>
> I believe these 2 factors add up to make it appear that very
> differentcircuits have the same S-parameters: you
> might only be looking at S21 magnitude, when you should be looking at the
> magnitude and phase of S11, and phase of S21 also.
>
> You might look at some work Cherry Wakayama did, comparing S-parameters
> derived from VNA vs. TDR/TDT measurements (see link below).  There were
> several very different structures, and the S-parameters varied
> accordingly, especially when you look at phase and S11, not just the magnitude
> of S21.
>
> *
> http://www.tek.com/products/oscilloscopes/sampling/interconnect_analysis/customer_papers/vna_tdr_correlation.pdf
> *<http://www.tek.com/products/oscilloscopes/sampling/interconnect_analysis/customer_papers/vna_tdr_correlation.pdf>
>
> Unfortunately, we didn't include the original TDR waveforms in the paper,
> but they contained all kinds of various "bumps" in them before being
> converted to S-parameters.
>
> P.S. - I'd also like to thank Vladimir for his great explanation.
>
> Jeff Loyer

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: