[SI-LIST] Re: effects of pattern on transmission line - DDR2

  • From: Mike Brown <bmgman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:14:17 -0600

Well, even with ideal Vtt regulation, you get into data pattern
dependent threshold crossing times (Inter-symbol Interference) with this
example. The timing of the threshold crossing of a transition is a
function of the data bits preceeding it, producing data-dependent jitter.

With the alternating block, the driver output never reaches full Vol or
Voh; a threshold set at the midpoint of the swing produces minimum bias
distortion (near-equal 1-0 width).  When the line is allowed to remain
in one state for sufficient time, the line reaches steady-state Vol or
Voh.  Now, the first edge transmitted after the steady-state voltage has
been reached has further to go to reach Vth, which means it happens
later on the edge than it did in the alternations case.  Couple that
with a return transition on the next edge, and you have a
narrower-than-ideal bit with minimum overdrive.

Vtt regulation (as contrasted to Vth) may cause the driver's operating
point to shift slightly, as the load line moves along the driver's IV
curve.  I try to derive Vth at the receiver from the driver's Vddq
supply with an RC filter, and derive the reference for the Vtt supply
likewise.  This tends to make everything track proportionally, at least
at low to mid-frequency.

Regards

Mike

List technical documents are available at: