[SI-LIST] Re: diff pair questions

  • From: "Chris Rokusek" <crokusek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:12:03 -0700

Signal,

The driver design will only control where the very low frequency components
of the signal travel (DC).  At the higher frequencies each lengthwise
section of T-Line configuration can be considered separate from those
further away.

In each of the cross sections of the configurations, the easiest way for a
current to return is through the plane (it has large surface area, and is
realtively near).  If you have access to a field solver, you will see a
larger proportion of E field lines terminating on the plane(s) rather than
the adjacent trace.  Similar effect for tangential H lines near plane.

Another example of it not mattering about the driver configuration is that
non-DC return currents don't care whether they travel on GND or PWR to get
back to their source because the high frequency components can jump between
due to coupling between planes.

If there is no GND or PWR plane nor coaxial shield then the field lines will
be uncontained but still overlap (couple) and cancel out (at lower
frequencies).

Chris