[SI-LIST] Re: Why is the excitation pattern sharp edged trapezoidal instead of a 10% triangular

  • From: Anto Davis <antokdavis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Smith, Larry" <larrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 10:56:41 +0530

Thanks all,

"About why there are no spikes seen in Figure 11".

I have something in mind, it might be wrong, but I am writing it:

In Figure 11, we have already crossed the maximum allowed voltage margin of
the IC.
In a 1.1V logic, If we have 0.577/2 voltage dip, will the toggle flip flops
flip?
The probability of going to metastability will be higher in this case?
So in that case, instead of switching current will there be a constant
power draw?

In Figure 11, there are some places we have switching.
I think, at that location the T flip flops are toggling, and other
locations they may are not toggling.
But, here also, some phase shift is visible between the two.
If figure 19 (a) and 11 are same, I think, in Figure 11 the voltage and
switching patterns are 90 degrees phase shifted.

Another question I had was, what will happen if the IC voltage goes above
or below the +/-5%?

Thanks,
Anto

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 4:04 AM, Smith, Larry <larrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Anto – Thanks for your interest in the papers and work that was done
several years ago at Altera. While many of the authors have moved on to
other endeavors, the subject matter is still relevant and important in the
field of power integrity. The measured waveforms and the concepts
presented in the papers are correct but some of the terminology probably
needs a little updating.

Figure 10 is called a “burst transient pattern” but I think a better name
for it would be “step response.” The clock was abruptly turned on and the
chip began drawing a transient current which caused the PDN have an
associated voltage droop. Sometime later the clock was abruptly turned off
after the system had come to equilibrium and then the PDN experienced a
voltage spike. This is the expected transient response to a square pulse
of load current with a duration much longer than the period of the PDN
resonant frequency. As discussed earlier on this thread, the spikey
impulse currents on-die have been filtered by the on-die capacitance and
package inductance so that the current waveform is smoothed out by the time
it reaches the package.

Figure 11 is called “periodic burst at PDN resonant frequency” but I think
it would have been better to simply call it the “resonance response.” It
is an AC steady state waveform, which means that the transients have died
out long ago. The PDN voltage waveform is due to the transient current of
figure 10 but now it repeats. The current steps have been turned on and
off many times at the PDN resonant frequency so we now consider this to be
the AC steady state response to a square wave of dynamic current. The PDN
waveform has re-centered itself at approximately the nominal Vdd voltage
minus DC IR drop.

Your first comment is that we see voltage spikes (clock edge noise) in
figure 10 but do not see them in figure 11. That is a good observation.
Illiya has pointed out that we are on a different scale factor. But it
still seems like we should have seen some clock edge noise in the resonance
response. The measured scope shot and simulation down in figure 19 show
the clock edge noise at the expected time. I don’t really know why the
clock edge noise did not show up in figure 11. Unfortunately, the setup is
no longer available to investigate.

To address your second comment, the impedance peak is shown in figure 4.
We did not put a marker on it but it appears to be about 60 or 70 mOhms.
The designCon paper and CICC paper show the very same time measurements (in
fact, the same scope shots) so it was the same impedance peak. We did not
show the impedance peak in the CICC paper.

You are correct about the table 1 currents. The 33 MHz clock measurement
is only drawing a small fraction of the current that was drawn when the 533
MHz clock was modulated on and off at the 33 MHz PDN resonant frequency.
Ignoring leakage current, the unmodulated current is about 15 times higher
in the 533 MHz clock case (533/33). This is the stimulus current that was
modulated for the resonance response.

For the voltage calculation in item 4, we have to be a little bit
careful. We have to use peak-to-peak currents when calculating p-p
voltage. Or, use amplitude currents when calculating amplitude voltages.
This is for the AC steady state calculations which are being assumed when
we say V=IxZ. Also, this is a square wave of current and we are filtering
out the 1st harmonic of the square wave with the PDN resonant peak. This
puts and additional factor of 4/pi (Fourier coefficient for 1st harmonic)
into the voltage calculation.

“Violating target impedance method?” There is nothing to violate. The
target impedance is simply a reference line to use when designing or
evaluating a PDN. In these two papers, there was just one PDN resonant
peak that happened to badly exceed the target impedance. The measured data
is a dramatic example of what can happen when the PDN impedance peak far
exceeds the target impedance. If the PDN impedance had met the target
impedance, or if we had limited the transient current so that the existing
impedance peak met the reduced-transient-current target impedance, the
voltage waveforms would have been well behaved. Neither the step or
resonance responses would have come close to exceeding the voltage
tolerance. As mentioned before, the rogue wave phenomenon involves
pathological stimulation of multiple impedance peaks.

Regards,

Larry Smith