[SI-LIST] Re: What it takes to be a Signal Integrity Expert

  • From: "Abdulrahman A. Rafiq" <arafiqsi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shiraz_bashir@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 01:12:45 -0800 (PST)

Shiraz,
From my personal experiance what it is required to be a successful SI Engineer,
 is to first have an interest in the field of Electronmagentism (E&M), which is
also known as field theory by most engineers. An interest along with an
understanding of of E&M, Maxwells Equations both in a medium and free space,
along with understanding of Transmission Line (or Wave Guide theory.
Apart from the theoretical knowledge, you need to be able to learn different SI
and PWB layout tools with ease. As most of the SI work in industry is done via
SI Simulation tools like Xtk from Innoveda, Apsims RLGC, Spectraquest from
Cadence, etc. Different companies use different tools. Also it is a good idea
to get to know a mathematical program like Mathematica from Wolfram Research or
Maple Math Cad, along with a knowledge of C, Java, and Perl scripting.
On a last note, if you enjoy this field, if you find E&M interesting enough to
make it your career then there is no question that you can't succeed in it. It
is a very intersting field, personally I found that Signal Integrity is one of
those EE / High Tech feilds where someone like myself with a Physics degree is
able to work in the High Tech Industry as a Physicists.
To get started I wuold suggest getting a hold of "High Speed Digital Design" by
Howard Johnson, "Introduction to Electromagnestism" by David Griffits,
"Electromagentism and Feild Toery" by Chen. Also do search on Yahoo or Google
by typing in the search field for "Signal Integrity." You will find a number of
great SI material online.
Hope this answers your question
Wishin you the best of luck in your future career
Abdulrahman Rafiq

 Shiraz Bashir <shiraz_bashir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am a student and just want to know that what it
takes to be a Signal Integrity Expert.

In other words, what Signal Integrity Skills,
Expertise and tool one should you know in order to
pursue a career in Signal Integrity domain.

CMOS CHIP Design and SI are new areas to me so wnat to
make sure that I learn as much as I can from all of
you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shiraz
General Electric