[SI-LIST] Re: What it takes to be a Signal Integrity Expert

  • From: "Bill Hargin" <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arafiqsi@xxxxxxxxx>, <shiraz_bashir@xxxxxxxxx>,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 14:51:10 -0800

Hi Shiraz:

> In other words, what Signal Integrity Skills,
> Expertise and tool one should you know in order to
> pursue a career in Signal Integrity domain.

I would add the following thoughts/suggestions to Abdulrahman's input:

2 More books:
"High-Speed Digital System Design: A Handbook of Interconnect Theory and
Design Practices," by Hall, Hall & McCall.
"Signal Integrity Issues In PCB Design", Doug Brooks, www.ultracad.com.

Read the IBIS spec at  http://eda.org/pub/ibis/ver4.0/.

For a free, software-based signal integrity overview, download the HyperLynx
demo from http://www.hyperlynx.com (hard to find a better 1-1.5 hour
tutorial on SI and SI software).

3 Websites with some good resources:
www.speedingedge.com
www.signalintegrity.com
www.ultracad.com

2 Trade Journals with free subscriptions that cover SI:
www.edn.com
www.pcdmag.com

Go through this material, and -- with some experience to go along with it --
you should do come up to speed fairly quickly.

Best Regards,
Bill Hargin
Direct: 425-246-9937
Fax:    425-952-7927

Cognition Consulting
Electronic Design Software and Consulting
http://www.CognitionConsulting.com

List archives are viewable at: