[SI-LIST] Re: Via stub math help needed....

  • From: Lambert Simonovich <bertsimonovich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ralph Wilson <ralph.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 06:17:27 -0800 (PST)

Ralph,
The additional delay in the via stub is due to the additional distributed
fringe field capacitance between the via barrel or inner layer pads to the
clearance holes (anti-pads) of the planes. This results in a higher effective
dielectric constant (Dkeff) due to the excess distributed capacitance. You can
estimate Dkeff based on the via barrel to anti-pad geometry. Once you have
determined Dkeff, then the resonant frequency can be predicted by the following
formula:

fo = c/(4*sqrt(Dkeff)*stub_len)

where c = 1.18E10 sec/in and stub_len is in inches

For more information, I invite you to visit my web site and download a copy of
a white paper titled,  "Method of Modeling Differential Vias"

-Bert