[SI-LIST] Re: Via stub math help needed....

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 04:42:22 -0800

Ralph, the null frequency will be Vprop/(4 * Lstub) as you expect.
Vprop is different because you are not in TEM mode.

Steve.

On 1/12/2012 4:24 AM, Ralph Wilson wrote:
> All,
>
> While working on some SERDES nets, specifically trying to quantify
> the effects of some via stubs, I ran across something that has me
> stymied.  I expect a null in S21 where the stub length (delay, actually)
> is 1/4 wavelength. However, the simulations are showing a null at
> half the frequency I predict.  I've subsequently run the via model through
> several different tools, and although the null frequency varies a little
> bit due to modeling / parasitic issue, they all come up with a null
> frequency roughly half of what my "math" predicts.  So my fundamental
> question is where is my theory or my math wrong?
>
> Null frequency = 1/wavelength = 1 / (4 x via-stub-delay)
>
> via-stub-delay = d / s, where d = distance (length of stub) and
>       s = wave propagation speed
>
> s = c / sqrt(Dk), where c = 299,792,458 m/s, or
>       c = 299,792,458 m/s x 1/0.0254 in/m x 1E-9 s/ns = 11.8 in/ns
>
> So, if I pick a via stub length of 80 mils in FR4 with a Dk of 4...
>
> s = 11.8 in/ns x 1/sqrt(4) = 5.9 in/ns
> via-stub-delay = 80 mils x 1/5.9 ns/in x 1E-3 in/mil = 0.0136 ns
>
> Hence, the predicted null frequency = 1 / (4 x 0.0136 ns) = 18.44 GHz
>
> However, all of my simulation tools (Hyperlynx, IE3D, CST MWS) show
> a null in the range of 9-10 GHz.  Digging deeper, they show the via
> delay to be in the range of 27 ps rather than the 13.6 that my math shows.
>
> What gives?  Why is my delay calculation off by (roughly) a factor of 2?
> Is the lumped capacitance of the via stub somehow affecting the
> propagation delay in the via stub? That's somehow mixing t-line
> theory with lumped model approximations... I'm at a loss.
>
> Thanks for any insight.
> Ralph Wilson
> Alcatel-Lucent

> List technical documents are available at:
>                  http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: