[SI-LIST] Re: Via stub math help needed....

  • From: Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Bogatin <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:13:50 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

I do very well by representing vias as small capacitors, which is what this
discussion is implying.  More local C would look like a higher dk.

I have measured many of them and find that a 12 mil drilled hole in a 100 mil
thick PCB with the usual number of planes for such a thickness averages about
0.3 pF.  Using this in simulations pretty well matches what one sees when
making measurements of physical hardware.

These local capacitors are often mistakenly called stubs.