[SI-LIST] Re: Split planes and ground return wires

  • From: "Godbout, Marc" <marc.godbout@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'howiej@xxxxxxxxxx'" <howiej@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:00:47 -0500

Thanks, Dr. J.  It's great to get feedback from the guy that "wrote the
book" (literally). This is one of those cases where I need ammunition to
back up what I felt in my gut from experience.

The .2" is correct, although totally out of our control. We're using fairly
thin PCB's and metallic core to meet our board space requirements. The
component max height alone is extremely restrictive.

But considering mutual inductance, wouldn't the parallel traces leading to
the z-axis wires be even more of a controlling factor? And how does the
metallic core effect these wires? The core is tied to chassis ground, and
each wire has its own hole.

Also, standard CMOS edge rates apply.

-Marc

List archives are viewable at: