[SI-LIST] Re: Split planes and ground return wires

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howiej@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:47:56 -0800

Dear Charles,

I'm going to address your question first with an excerpt
from
one of my previous articles, "Cable Shield Grounding".

   In   high-speed   digital  applications,   a   low
impedance
   connection  between the shield and the equipment  chassis
*at
   both  ends* is required in order for the shield to do its
job.
   The  shield connection impedance must be low in the
frequency
   range  over  which you propose for the shield to operate.
The
   measure   of  shield  connection  efficacy  for  a
high-speed
   connector  is called the ground transfer impedance, or
shield
   transfer  impedance, of the connector, and  it  is  a
crucial
   parameter.

   In  low-speed applications involving high-impedance
circuitry,
   where   most   of   the  near-field  energy  surrounding
the
   conductors  is in the electric field mode (as opposed  to
the
   magnetic  field  mode), shields need only be grounded  at
one
   end.   In  this  case  the  shield  acts  as  a  Faraday
cage
   surrounding  the conductors, prevent the egress  (or
ingress)
   of electric fields.

   In  high-speed applications involving low-impedance
circuitry,
   most  of  the near-field energy surrounding the
conductors  is
   in  the  magnetic  field mode, and for that  problem,
only  a
   magnetic  shield  will work. That's what  the
double-grounded
   shield  provides.  Grounding both ends of the  shield
permits
   high-frequency  currents to circulate  in  the  shield,
which
   will   counteract   the  currents  flowing   in   the
signal
   conductors.  These  counteracting  currents  create
magnetic
   fields  that  cancel  the magnetic fields emanating  from
the
   signal conductors, providing a magnetic shielding effect.

   For  the  magnetic shield to operate properly, we must
provide
   means  for  current to enter (or exit) at  both  ends  of
the
   cable.  As  a  result,  a  low-impedance  connection  to
the
   chassis,  operative over the frequency range  of  our
digital
   signals,  is required that *both* ends of our shielded
cable.
   (See  Henry  Ott,  "Noise Reduction Techniques  in
Electronic
   Systems", 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, 1988.)

There are exceptions to the "ground coax at both ends rule".
These
exceptions involve cases where for some reason no currents
enter
or leave the end-terminal equipment. For example, suppose
that
at the receiving equipment the coaxial cable feeds the
primary
winding of an ideal transformer. Let the secondary winding
of the
transformer feed the receiver circuitry. There is thus no DC
connection (no common-mode current connection) through the
transformer. Of course, in actual practice you do get
current
flowing through the parasitic capacitance of the transformer
from primary to secondary, and this current then must make
its way
back to the source, which in your case is one of those big
grounding straps between the cabinets. In a high-speed
digital
product you would therefore likely not pass your radiated
emissions tests with that architecture.

Another approach useful at lower speeds is to terminate the
coaxial cable to itself with 50 ohms (or whatever is
appropriate)
and then feed only the signal wire into your receiver. A
suitably high-impedance receiver input draws very little
current,
thereby limiting the current that must flow back to the
source
on the big grounding straps. Once again, at high speeds the
current required to drive the parasitic capacitance of the
receiver is not insubstantial, and so this architecture
won't
work.

Your old application probably used some combination of
either
transformer coupling, a high-impedance receiver, or both.
(Common-mode chokes can also work).

One approach that works well at speeds up to 125 Mbaud on
category-5 unshielded twisted pairs is to use a well
balanced
transformer (sometimes in series with a common-mode choke)
limit the common-mode current flowing into the receiver (or
out
of the transmitter). Such architectures work and pass FCC/EN
radiated emissions tests at speeds up to 125 Mbaud with
output signals on the order of 1 V p-p.

Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson, Signal Consulting Inc.,
tel +1 509-997-0505,  howiej@xxxxxxxxxx
http:\\sigcon.com  -- High-Speed Digital Design articles,
books, tools, and seminars