[SI-LIST] Re: Split planes and ground return wires

  • From: James_R_Jones@xxxxxxxx
  • To: marc.godbout@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:59:08 -0600

Marc,

In my experience with signals of < 25 MHz, you should be able to get away
with just about anything.  I tend to think that there is a good possibility
that the system will work fine with one ground wire.  That being said, I
would be more comfortable selling a system with ground wires at a 1:10
ratio.  I might consider using the same size wire that you are using for all
of the data signals.  I don't know of a very scientific approach for finding
the correct wire size, but I might recommend a trial and error method to
determining how many ground wires to use.  For example, I might hook the
system up with one ground wire initially, and then measure the data wire
furthest from the ground... note the ringing.  Now I might hook up more
ground wires, remeasure.  etc.  At some point you will have grounding
sufficient to satisfy your design requirements.  I haven't seen a lot of
good documentation on the subject, but I have had personal experiences with
this very concern.

James R. Jones
Dell