[SI-LIST] Re: SPICE books

  • From: "ARiazi" <ARIAZI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:20:51 -0700

Chris McGrath Wrote:

>My main area of interest is SPICE (or HSPICE)
> modeling at the PCB level (i.e. ASIC to transceiver, ASIC to connector,
> ASIC to ASIC, etc.), but I'm also interested in learning more about how
> the chip vendors use (or at least generate) SPICE models for various
> purposes and how S-parameters play into the whole scheme of things.

Dear Chris,

One book which contains detailed information for creating SPICE models is
 " SPICE Practical Device Modeling " by Ron Kielkowski.  I have written
about its content in a previous post (Subject:  Macromodel Creation ,
Date: Sep. 15, 2000)

A good way for learning how to model and apply SPICE for Signal Integrity
applications is to study the modeling and simulations sections of several
signal integrity books which have been published in the recent years.

For instance,  in Stephen H. Hall, et al, "High-Speed Digital Design A
Handbook of of Interconnect Theory and Design Practices", there is a chapter
( #5 ) on modeling of connectors, packages and Vias, and another chapter
(#7)
devoted to buffer modeling.

Brian Young in "Digital Signal Integrity Modleing and Simulation With
Interconnects and Packages", furnishes useful examples of
 SPICE simulation ( for instance refer to pages 95-97, 107-108, 138-142)

In the Eric Bogatin's book, "Signal Integrity Simplified", it is stated that
SPICE is an incredibly powerful tool and some instructive simulation
cases are provided (for example see Pages 100-103, 301-329 )

It is interestig to note that in Howard Johnson and Martin Graham,
"High-Speed Signal Propagaton Advanced Black Magic"  on pages 237-239,
it is mentioned that SPICE is grand for complicated non-linear circuits, but
for simple linear types SPICE may not be the best choice.
For such cases frequency domain approach can be preferable.
Frequency domain simulations (applicable to linear systems) provide
control over the exact form of frequecy dependent losses (skin effect and
dielectric loss), and may be programmmed in any spreadsheet application
program (such as Mathcad, Matlab, etc.)

In addition to intructive books, there are numerous published papers and
application notes relating to SPICE and IBIS modeling, S parameters, PCB
 level simulation tools and methodologies which can be researched.

A document by Synopsys, "HSPICE Signal Integrity Guide" is quite helpful if
you have access to HSPICE.

Kind Regards,

Abe Riazi
ServerWorks