[SI-LIST] Re: Resistor packs, SI issues?

  • From: "Anders Frederiksen" <af@xxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:16:20 +0100 (CET)

From: "Mike Greim" <mike.greim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:36:26 -0600

Thanks for the reply Mike!

>Depending on the nature of the memory channel, for
>instance, number of dimms, total ranks and the
>distribution thereof, the viability of the interface
>can be held together with for lack of a better phrase,
>spit and scotch tape.

LOL.
This is a fully embedded "~SODIMM on board". No connectors. So in pure
"crosstalk
contribution" I'll save a bit here...

>It is therefore fairly common
>for constraints to be employed that enhance noise margin.
>Cross talk may be a contributing factor, but it is also
>common for DQS to be packaged separately such that a
>different termination scheme is desired.

I can indeed appreciate this. However I'm less worried for missing this "handle"
(separately adjusting res. values) than a possible crosstalk issue.

>[...]
>You may also want to consider a different rpack size as
>mfg cost may be increased due to the small size of the
>package. Yes, I realize that there is a limited amount
>of space to implement the termination scheme for this
>channel

I'm currently looking for the addional space for splitting the 0804 quads into
0404
duals. So I'm definitely not going to larger packages. (A viable option (that I
dislike) is discrete 0201 resistors)...

>Best of luck.

Thanks! (Praying luck won't be necessary ;-)
Cheers,
 Anders

>Best Regards,
>
>Michael Greim