[SI-LIST] Re: Recommendation for quick-turn board house

  • From: Hal Murray <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:20:54 -0800

> I am going to spin a 4 layer PCB.  0.062" thick, matl: FR-4.  All
> parts are 0603 or larger.  The board should work at up to 500 MHz or
> so; no other special SI requirements beyond that.  I am thinking about
> using one of the internet-based quick-turn houses which specialize in
> prototype runs.  The vendor I am considering is PCBFabExpress.com:

There are several similar companies.  The ones I've looked at closely do not
support modern high-tech design rules.  (I was looking for inexpensive and
could easily have missed something.)

Can you live with old 7/7 rules?  Do you need solder mask between pads on a
0.5 mm pitch?   Can you live with their fixed set of drill sizes?  Another
thing to watch for is plane cuts on connectors with rows of through hole pins
because the large clearance holes overlap.

PCBFabExpress.com won't tell me any details without registering so I'm not
likely to give them any business.

I have used PCB Express.  I tried them because a friend was happy with them.

It's hard to find all their design rules on their web pages.

I've been happy with 3 small, easy boards.   Two were two sided, no solder
mask, no silk screen, and the design rules were 10/10 or larger.  The third
was 4 layer with mask and silk screen and used 7/7.

List archives are viewable at: