[SI-LIST] Re: Question on EMI radiated power

  • From: "Charles Hill" <chuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Andrew.Burnside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 12:21:10 -0700

Andrew,

We were discussing the feedpoint impedance of an antenna which is a complex
scalar quantity and how a portion of that, the radiation resistance,
represents the power transfer.

When dealing with coupled structures a matrix quantity is used which has the
off-diagonal terms of mutual impedance.  The phase angle of the mutual
impedance relates to the phase shift in the coupling.  The feedpoint
impedance of a coupled structure has to be computed from the matrix along
with the self-impedances of the coupled elements; the feedpoint impedance is
not a diagonal term of the matrix.  So even with a coupled structure, the
radiation resistance is a portion of the feedpoint impedance which
represents the radiated power and it is always real valued.

If it helps, consider another case of coupled inductors--a transformer.  The
only power that is transferred is a portion of that where the input voltage
and input current are in phase--right?

Charles