[SI-LIST] Re: Question on DDR SDAM timing spec

  • From: Jonathan Dowling <jdowlin2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:34:58 -0700 (PDT)

DQS preamble for WRITE transaction is generally 1/2-CK
in duration. This guarantees a minimum tWPRE = 1/4-CK
for minimum tDQSS = 0.75-CK.

DQS receiver enable/disable is more of an issue for READ
transaction because DQS signal arrives at controller
asynchronously to CK. (Controller guys hate this and
its even more of a problem for DDR-II.)

-jd

--- Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am a little confused in the JEDEC DDR SDRAM timing spec and some of its
> electrical implications.
>
> Here's my original thought :
> 1) During bus idle the SSTL_2 input level will be floating round vddq/2
> 2) DQS receivers do not like input level being vddq/2, it will either
> oscillate or sense an incorrect logic level. Either the receivers have to be
> disabled or data that gets clocked in has to be discarded
> 3) DDR DRAM spec uses tDQSS to defined the absolute arrive time of DQS
> w.r.t. the DRAM input ck/ck#. It can arrive as late as 1.25tCK or as early
> as 0.75tCK.
> 4) DRAM control logic has to assume the DQS within this time is valid
> 5) However, the preamble time for write tWPRE only requires the DQS to be
> parked to low level at a minimum of 0.25tCK before the first rising edge of
> tDQS.
> 6) This means, in a limiting case, a memory controller can send the DQS to
> the target DRAM as late as 1.25tCK (maybe due to heavy loading, DRAM clock
> being too early etc) while keeping the bus floating all the way till 1.00tCK
> (thus meeting the 0.25tCK tWPRE requirement).
> 7) However, the poor DRAM DQS receiver has to assume anything arrive after
> 0.75tCK as valid strobe signal. Thus between 0.75-1tCK, the DQS input is
> floating at VDDQ/2 and god knows what kind of glitch exist at the output of
> the DQS receiver that will be used to latch in garbage/extra data.
>
> I am sure a lot of smart people come out with this spec and I make a mistake
> somewhere in this argument. Can someone point it out to me ?
> Thanks in advanced,
> Chris

> List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: