[SI-LIST] Re: Question on DDR SDAM timing spec

  • From: Jonathan Dowling <jdowlin2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:44:08 -0700 (PDT)

Eric,
If the *range* of CK-DQS return roundtrip looptime (RTLP) is less than 1-CK
period
in duration between lightest and heaviest loading conditions, then theoretically
there exists an ideal DQ/DQS receiver enable time (relative to controller CK
domain)
which works for all DIMM configurations (because READ preamble is 1-CK wide).

Calculating RTLP involves summing CK delay from controller to DRAMs, DRAM CK-DQS
output skew (tDQSCK), and READ DQS delay from DRAM to controller (over all
operating conditions). Some of the delay is on-chip and some off-chip.

The controller can be designed with a range of settings for DQ/DQS receiver
enable with the best setting chosen from a priori RTLP timing prediction or
later with sweep of register settings in lab characterization.

DQ/DQS receiver disable generally is a fixed delay from a particular DQS edge
(like the last or 2nd to last).

There are more elaborate ways to measure RTLP for each DIMM and increase timing
precision for READ DQ/DQS receiver enable/disable, but they are generally
unnecessary at DDR-I speeds.

-jd

List archives are viewable at: