[SI-LIST] Re: Power plane noise measurement

  • From: "istvan novak" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vishram Pandit" <vishrampandit@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 22:10:20 -0400

Dear Vishram,

Using the capacitor pads for connection is a convenience, not a necessity.  So
if you really want, you can put an SMA connector on the board.  On the other
hand, after having done many measurements on power networks, experience tells
me that the SMA connector helps very little, it just takes up room on the
board.  If your concern is that using a capacitor pad means that you have to
remove a capacitor, which may alter the results, use a pair of vias where
otherwise you would have the SMA connector.  You can either solder cables to
the via pads or use small semirigid probes that fit into the holes so that you
can probe without any soldering.

If you have a large chip, making measurements in the pin field is not easy.
You can try using miniature probes, such as GGB Industries PicoProbes, or you
can put a pair of vias as close to the pin field as you can.

The value of the measured impedance depends on your design and on the
frequency.  Low power circuits seldom require power-distribution impedance
below a few ohms.  Low voltage and high-power systems, on the other hand, often
require a few milliohms or less at low and medium frequencies.  At high
frequencies, self impedance will be dominated by inductance.  If you use thin
laminates, the inductance may be as low as a few times ten pH.

Your 6-ohm impedance at 2GHz frequency translates into about 0.5 nH inductance.
 Whether this is OK or not, depends on what transient noise current will enter
your power distribution network and how much noise voltage you can tolerate.

Regarding the highest frequency of interest, the rules may be different for SI
and EMI.  For EMI purposes, you usually have to be concerned up to the first
four-to-six harmonics of the clock.

Best regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems