[SI-LIST] Re: N-port model limitations in simulators

  • From: Steve Corey <steven.corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:36:24 -0700

List members -- I apologize in advance for the long post -- I'm even
including a mini-outline.  You've been forewarned...

I.   Reference nodes for modeling
II.  Reference nodes for measurement
III. Global datum node in SPICE

Ray, et. al. -- Having independent reference nodes for each port doesn't
necessarily make your model any more accurate, since it adds no
information into the simulation.  There's no loss of mathematical
generality in tying the reference nodes together, since if you want to
offset a certain voltage by a certain amount, you can do that easily
enough with an ideal voltage source.  Once a system matrix is built, the
relationships between the reference nodes are folded into the system
matrix, never to be uniquely retrieved.  This is why you don't choose
two nodes as reference nodes if you care about the voltage and current
relationship between them.

Taking the two port example like Ray did:  If we allow the two reference
nodes to float against each other, it may be accurate if we happen to be
modeling something coupled by an ideal transformer.  However, as Ray
suggested, what if the reference nodes are two nearby points on a ground
plane?  Now placing one at 5V with respect to the other causes no
apparent discomfort to our model, whereas it would fry our circuit in
practice.  In other words, decoupling reference nodes gives you enough
rope to hang yourself, and requires you to carry addition information
about the relationships between reference nodes if your model is to be
used accurately.

My general policy is to be very circumspect, and in fact very frugal, in
choosing reference nodes.  You need to be certain that you truly don't
care how these nodes interact with each other.  The ultimate in
frugality is to choose one node as reference node, which you can do
without losing any information about the device itself.  This is also
the safest way, in that no outside information need be carried around
with the network regarding what is OK and not OK to do to the reference
nodes.  This is because there is only one reference node, and all
relationships between all other nodes are explicit.  This is what it
sounds like Brian Young is suggesting in his book, and what Arpad
alluded to some time back.  This is what SPICE does -- every node but
one is a port, all ports are addressed against that single reference.
Addressing the questions Ray brought up in his original email:

1 Can't have a DC offset between the input and output ports
2 Common nodes that are physically separated can't be modeled as such
(connectors for example).
3 Can't be utilized to accurately model planes which are spatially large.
4 Can't be utilized for SSN simulations. (seems like return paths are
being ignored)

What I hear in each one of these is that there is some interest in
reasserting relationships between nodes which are being called reference
nodes.  If this is the case, they should not have been reference nodes
in the first place, but should have been kept out as port nodes:

#1 To be as general as possible, there should be one reference node, and
the other three should be port nodes.  Then you can place the voltage
offset across what used to be the two "reference" nodes. Your modeling
of the return path will have to be accurate, but it should have been
anyway.  Having two reference nodes and two port nodes might be a
convenient approximation in this case, if you know enough information
about the AC coupling between the points, but it's not necessary, and
less accurate.  Furthermore, the approximation can be accomplished using
the 2-port, 3-terminal SPICE-style multiport by using ideal voltage
sources.  There's no need to offset the output reference node -- just
offset the output port node.  (If you want an accompanying offset
"reference" node, you can create that as well.)

#2 Same as #1.  The truth is that the return paths of the different
connector signal paths are related, even in cases where they don't share
a common ground plane.  Having them all be reference nodes is
potentially inaccurate.  But if the inaccuracy is OK, you can shift the
voltage source even though the multiport shares a common reference.

#3 If you truly only care about the voltage across each port at either
"end" of the plane, then sharing a common reference should be perfectly
acceptable.  If you do care about the voltages between the reference
points, then one of them should not be a reference -- it should be a
port node, resulting in a 3-port, 4-terminal device.  Then, if your
plane model is accurate (and I wouldn't argue that with the guys from
Sun), you will know explicitly what the fluctuations are between the two
points on the plane.

#4 Same as #3.

A quick word about two-port measurements.  The same thing happens as
when you define multiple reference points in your circuit, and you don't
typically have the option of a single ground node when taking
measurements.  Once you attach the two "ground" leads/sheaths to two
points in your circuit, you've stated that the relationship between them
doesn't matter to you.  And your measurements will give you no
indication of the relationship.  What you have to be aware of is that
you do have two physically distinct reference points.  Even though they
can be subtracted in SPICE, absolute voltages between "distant" points
can't be measured without some type of de-embedding, since the
measurement setup inserts its own loading and return paths.  So you
really are left with a two-port with different reference nodes.
However, it's important to remember that even though they aren't
necessarily at the same exact absolute voltage, neither can you in
general shift them at will in simulation without it becoming an
inaccurate representation of the circuit you measured.  You are better
off doing simulations in which your results are independent of what the
voltage at the reference node is.  If you do this, then everything is
self consistent whether the reference node is assumed to be at zero
volts or any other value.

Finally, even though this email is way too long already, I think it's
worth saying that SPICE's requirement of a global datum node is neither
mythical nor non-physical.  It's actually the most general way of
representing a circuit in terms of voltage and current, since all
information is explicitly retained about the relationship between any
two points in the circuit.  Where people commonly run into problems in
SI is when they fail to accurately model return paths, and instead just
assume that anything they call a "reference" node in their design is
equipotential with any other "reference" node in their design.  So it's
not anything that's broken in SPICE, it's more of a "garbage in, garbage
out" issue.

   -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.