[SI-LIST] Re: N-port model limitations in simulators

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:41:34 -0700

Ray,

I think it all depends on how you (or your tool) count your beans
(I mean ports).

To me, the two-port you drew with a common GND (second figure) would
be like a single wire with two ends, and your guess is as good as mine
for where the return path is.  However, I can imagine let's say, a two
wire twisted pair (or even a one wire coax with shield) to be modeled
with "two ports" on the left and two other ports on the right side,
plus one common GND for all.  In this case the common GND does not
prevent you from describing the return path.  (Of course this would
be 2*n + 1 nodes, using your equations).

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D