[SI-LIST] More efffects of paths crossing ground plane breaks

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 23:14:15 -0800

Hi All,

I have posted my new Technical Tidbit for January, 2003 on
http://emcesd.com titled "Crossing Ground Plane Breaks - Part 2
Tracing Current Paths." The abstract is:

Abstract: EMC and signal integrity engineers know that a signal
crossing over a break in a ground plane often causes reflections as
well as immunity and EMC problems. In this Technical Tidbit, a method
is shown to determine where signal currents flow when a signal path
crosses a break in a ground plane. Scope waveforms are included to
show typical results. The results clearly show the loop (antenna) that
is formed by the signal and its return path in the ground plane.

The link to the article is the picture at the bottom of the home page
showing a loop held up to a circuit board.

Happy reading!

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List archives are viewable at: