[SI-LIST] USB interconnect question

  • From: "Robert Sefton" <rsefton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SI-List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 17:41:12 -0800

My customer has a USB port that needs to operate at 480Mbps. Due to
mechanical constraints, the mini-USB connector cannot mount on the PCB where
the USB transceiver sits. Their existing product, which works at 12Mbps,
mounts the USB connector on a tiny 2-sided PCB (no reference planes) that
routes signals between the USB connector and another vertical connector. A
3-inch ribbon cable (not twisted pair) goes from the vertical connector over
to an identical connector on the main PCB where the USB transceiver sits.
None of the interconnect from the USB connector to the USB transceiver is
controlled impedance and the total length is around 5".

This basic topology cannot be changed, but I'd like to improve the
connectors and cabling between the front-panel USB connector and the USB
transceiver. I've looked at AMP and 3M for suitable cables and connectors
but have not seen anything suitable. I need to run D+/-, VBUS, and GND
across the cable, so six conductors would be perfect. Looking for
recommendations.

Thanks,
Robert

List archives are viewable at: