[SI-LIST] Re: Mentor Hyperlinx ?

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joel@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:49:52 -0700

Joel,

Unfortunately, there are no less expensive solutions on the market.  The
latest release of Hyperlynx is very good.  The engineering team there
have made quite a few improvements to make to tool more flexible and
more accurate.  The ability to precharacterize a design with Linesim is
extremely helpful when looking at SI affects before design.  Boardsim is
a good tool for performing signal integrity scans on boards after
routing.  The GHz option is great.  They've included Dimtri's w-element
algorithm in the software, the one he revised at Innoveda after he left
Avanti with improved performance, and a great eye pattern generator and
display ability. In addition, for those circuits that need to be
simulated in a more accurate simulator, like Hspice, there is also an
Hspice export and co-simulation option.

For the work you are performing, I don't believe the GHz option is
necessary, yet.  Definitely start with Linesim and Boardsim.  For those
long runs through multiple boards, connectors and cables, you should
consider the Hspice export option, which would allow you to export each
of your boards, integrate them together with cable and connector models,
and perform accurate system simulations.

best regards,

scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

Joel Brown wrote:

>I have been looking at Mentor Hyperlinx since we need some signal
>integrity tools for PCB layout. We had a demo from their local sales
>office and it looks pretty good. It is very expensive and we are a small
>company without a lot of cash, but I feel we need some signal integrity
>tools since we are starting to do high speed designs (DVI, USB 2.0 and
>SATA). Also we tend to run signals through a long path consisting of
>multiple boards, connectors and cables. I feel a tool like this would
>help to identify problems that we would otherwise not recognize until a
>marginal product failed in the field. They also have a GHz which adds a
>lot to the price, which Mentor says is required for designs above 10
>GHz. All of our designs are 1.5 GHz or less fundamental frequency, so I
>am not sure if we need to spend the extra money on the GHz option. I
>would appreciate any feedback from people who have used Hyperlinx and
>suggestions of lower cost alternatives.
>
>Joel Brown
>VP Engineering
>Z Microsystems, Inc.