[SI-LIST] Measure ESD induced noise

  • From: "chen, jinhua" <chen_jinhua@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:49:03 -0400

Hi, All

I want to measure the ESD induced noise on the power and ground planes.
First thing I need to make sure is that the probe itself did not cause any
inaccuracy.

Two different type of probes were used:
1.) high impedance single ended FET probe. Signal pin solder to power side
of decoupling cap, and ground pin soldered to ground side of cap.
2.) high impedance differential FET probe. '+' pin solder to cap power, and
'-' side solder to cap ground.

I calibrated method 1 with a same size cap soldered on probe pins, but the
cap was not mounted on the board. Probe was placed on the same point as real
measurement.

Are those two methods are valid way to measure the ESD noise?

The results from two methods had some differences. Method 1 measured bigger
noise. The noise switching with 1 - 2 ns period and ~ 10 V swing in the
beginning, then decay to zero in about 100 ns. Method 2 had similar period
and 6 - 7 V swing, then decay to zero. But it had a wide pulse (50 + ns)
after the high frequency switching noise. I don't know how to interpret the
data.

Thanks!

Jinhua Chen
EMC Corp.