[SI-LIST] Re: Lee Ritchey's book

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 04:44:52 -0800

Rich,

I just read the book last night.

The good:

It lives up to being a handbook offering practical advice.  It is directed
at helping the reader succeed.  It could save a lot of people who might
otherwise get themselves into deep trouble.

The book does a nice job with PCB construction details, materials,
practical feature limits, and trade-offs.

Chapters 32 - 37 on power distribution issues are very good, with strong
analysis, and practical solutions.

The writing is very accessible probably even to "TTL jockeys" and
"programmers".

The book is published on heavy coated paper with plentiful, high quality
images and illustrations.

The bad:

The book begins by extolling the virtues of analysis over black art
rules.  But throughout the book are various rules without the supporting
analysis, or more importantly, in some cases the limitations of a given
rule.  Lee does have a reason for each of his rules, but like so many rules
out there, the justifications and limitations are not quantified.

At 288 *.5" X 11" pages of 10 point type, I've seen meatier
books.  Considering the difficulty that many people would have at obtaining
some of the very useful information in it, $125. at the end of the day it
is probably still well worth it for many people working on high speed
boards, and probably a lot of people who don't realize that they are due to
current edge rates.   And no, that's not just a "Rambo Rich Body Boy" talking.

However, in it's current state, I wouldn't put this on a must-have list
like Dr. Johnson's famous "Black Magic" book.

Some of the information in the power chapters by John Zasio appears to
contradict Lee in earlier chapters.  That should be resolved.

Like any first edition, I think it has a few errors.  I'll take what I
think those are up with Lee and see if he can convince me otherwise.

Overall

A lot of expertise went into Lee's book, and clearly so did a lot of effort
to make the material not just presentable, but flow.  That's not an easy
thing to do.

My feeling here is that the book in content is a lot like the notes one
would get from a good two or three day seminar, ( and that sort of
privilege tends to cost $1000. or more ), but printed on very nice paper
with very good photographic plates.  If I were Lee's editor, I would recommend:

These are all JMO.
Elimination of generalizations.

Expansion on certain topics.

Inclusion of two topics left to "Volume 2"

Addition of one or two chapters that tie the whole thing together.

Resolution of controversial or potentially incorrect assertions.

All JMO.

Regards,

"Rambo Rich Body Boy", Steve

List archives are viewable at: