[SI-LIST] Re: Improving SNR in Audio signals-PCB

  • From: "Chen, Sherman" <sherman.chen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "saravanan.chml@xxxxxxxxx" <saravanan.chml@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 09:33:55 +0000

Not an expert...I dealt with this audio analog stuff long time ago. Basically
I'd follow these steps to debug the noise issue:
1. first and foremost, check the whole grounding scheme and quality to make
sure the following:
        a. minimize the digital noise coupled onto analog ground, esp. the
ground for the frontend analog amplify.
        b. minimize the coupling from the output of analog signal to input via
the common ground path.
2. feed a clean power supply to analog circuit.
3. the noise floor of the amplifiers.
4. sufficient ampl/phase margins to stay within stable region.
5. minimize xtalk from digital signal, as well as other analog signals. Clock
signal often is the culprit that causes a low SNR.
6. minimize mode conversion if the analog signal is differential.
7. check if there is EMI pickups by heatsink, sheet metal, etc.

These are what I can think of by now..

Best Regards,

Sherman Chen
Signal Integrity