[SI-LIST] Re: Hyperlynx vs. Hspice

  • From: Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'signalintegrity@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <signalintegrity@xxxxxxxxxxx>,jonpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:25:45 -0700

Naveen,
The real question you have to ask yourself is what is the correct strategy
to design these >GHz systems.
The last time I remember I did a full extraction of the PCB and back
annotate with simulations to analyze SI and timing was over ten years ago.
The truth is for the past few years, especially when buses go above GHz, I
found myself using the ruler or measurement tool on a post route PCB design
more than SPICE or any analog simulators. The performance requirement is
high enough that all the analysis has to be done up front before you connect
a single dot in your PCB routing tool. Min/max bus length, stub length
allowance, parallelism spacing and match length requirement etc have to be
well analyzed and spec out before you route your PCB. When the board is
done, you use your DRC checker or measurement tool to make sure the routing
is done the way the rules require and you send the board out. If you think
you can just throw the board to a PCB designer and use ANY tool (SPICE or
Hyperlynx or whatever) to analyze the results to give yourself a go or no go
on the post route nets, you will be in for a big surprise when bad things
happen.
You also mentioned designing backplanes. I will be really impressed if any
of the extraction tools can properly exact mulitple nets from mulitiple
board and couple them with the proper connector models and automatically do
the analysis for you.
I gave up on the SPICE vs. IBIS argument long time ago so for those who put
their money where their mouth is and really use IBIS to analyze multi GHz
system, good for you. Like Eminem says, will the real Gb/s IBIS users please
stand up, please stand up....