[SI-LIST] Re: How accurate is HSPICE's field solver?

  • From: MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:29:04 EST

Hi, Matt:

I also presented at DesignCon this year (see paper HP3-2) on "Coupled
transmission line modeling alternates and their comparisons." I use Linpar
for Windows as my field solver. What was the title of your paper? Assuming
all the physical and dielectric information for your comparisons is there, I
would like to compare the Linpar predictions to those you found.

Regarding the characteristics of lines within packages, I have not had any
problem with accurately predicting characteristic impedances of lines within
packages. On one project, I came up with predictions on an IBM package that
was 15% below their predictions. Measurements confirmed I (i.e., Linpar) was
correct. I suspect the physical data input (by your audience member) may not
have included all surrounding dielectrics and/or conductors. Another
possibility might be the more complicated "slow wave effect" that can occur
in chips because of the doping level of a relatively thick silicon section
under a silicon-dioxide insulating layer. This effect has been discussed by
Howard Johnson on occasion and (hopefully) will be addressed in detail in his
upcoming book. (Comments, Howard?)

Regarding crosstalk, those lines on the same signal layer that are one or
more traces removed from the victim are indeed second-order contributors;
however, the signal traces on the other layer of a dual stripline
construction can yield surprisingly high impact, particularly if routed for a
short distance directly above the victim (as in a broadside-coupled pair
arrangement). Such crosstalk coupling can easily be greater than that
contributed by an adjacent edge-coupled trace.

Mike

Michael L. Conn
Owner/Principal Consultant
Mikon Consulting
Cell: (408)821-9843

                   *** Serving Your Needs with Technical Excellence ***

List archives are viewable at: