[SI-LIST] Re: Gigabit ethernet placing and routing related question

  • From: David A Mullenex <mullenex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Peter zhu <yonghui.sky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:39:39 -0700

Greetings all,

RJ45 connectors with integrated magnetics, LEDs, and CM-C are commonly used due
mostly to real-estate savings in high port count designs. Alas, a designer
cannot simply assume that the connector will take care of all emissions issues
in their designs.

 Be cautioned that not all RJ45 with integrated magnetics are created equal.
Some suppliers have a better understanding of the electrical spectral content
and how to control such with consistent circuits embedded in the connectors.

Note also that the traditional front-end chassis / digital ground cuts need to
be reassessed with the use of integrated connectors.

Then the need for an external CM-C is really enclosure and design specific,
including the target copper port density for your product.

Regards,
- David.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net