[SI-LIST] Re: Gigabit ethernet placing and routing related question

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steve Weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Rose, Michael" <mrose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 08:29:15 -0700

Let's call it a Faraday Cage, then so it is not confusing in the context of
EMI.

<leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Peter zhu <yonghui.sky@xxxxxxxxx>;
si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; jhasson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<jhasson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 10/31/2010 8:54:23 PM
> Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Gigabit ethernet placing and routing related
question

> There are two important points:
>
> "Ground" is a misnomer.  At RF frequencies the chassis has no special
> relationship to any potential somewhere in the external environment.
> The chassis is just a node, and it forms a radiating antenna with all
> wires that penetrate it.  What makes the chassis special is that one
> with limited apertures is effective at blocking radiated energy from
> passing either direction between the inside and the outside.
>
> Coupling differences between signals past the magnetics and the chassis
> result in mode conversion that aggravates EMI headaches.  Careful
> attention to mode conversion containment is effort well-spent.
>

> Steve.
>

> Rose, Michael wrote:
> > I think he means that the line side is balanced and the phy side in
unbalanced, referenced to "logic ground."

Behalf Of Stefan Milnor [stefan.milnor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 3:04 PM
> > To: Lee Ritchey; Peter zhu; si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
jhasson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Gigabit ethernet placing and routing related
question

addressed. If you have reason to believe that you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender and destroy this email and any attached
files. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are
Curtiss-Wright Corporation or any of its subsidiaries.  Documents attached
hereto may contain technology subject to government export regulations.
Recipient is solely responsible for ensuring that any re-export, transfer
or disclosure of this information is in accordance with applicable
government export regulations.  The recipient should check this e-mail and
any attachments for the presence of viruses. Curtiss-Wright Corporation and
its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.

> > http://www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> > For help:
> >

> > List technical documents are available at: