[SI-LIST] Re: Fundamental vs Overtone crystal

  • From: "Mike Monett" <udi-4l1g@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Hill, John" <jhill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:03:32 -0400

  "Hill, John" <jhill@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  > Hello Ayan,

  > Make sure  there  is no loop gain at the fundamental  mode  of the
  > overtone crystal.  Remember to oscillate all you need  is positive
  > gain and a loop phase of n*360 degrees.

  > Use a  VNA  and open the loop to measure the gain  and  phase from
  > below the  fundamental mode of your overtone crystal to  above the
  > overtone frequency.  Make  sure  there is  no  gain  (with margin)
  > anywhere the phase is near zero degrees (n*360).

  > If there is positive gain at the fundamental mode of your overtone
  > crystal and  the  loop  phase hits  zero  degrees,  it  can bounce
  > between oscillating  at  the  fundamental  mode  and  the overtone
  > frequencies or  maybe  just oscillate at the  fundamental  mode of
  > your overtone crystal.

  > Best regards,

  > John

  Hi,

  Just thought  I  should  mention that  high  frequency  and overtone
  crystals have  a  low drive power level  specification,  and  can be
  damaged by  operating at high power. You can't  determine  the power
  dissipated in  the crystal with a VNA, and using a current  probe to
  measure the  current  may affect the circuit. It may  also  lack the
  sensitivity needed to measure the low current accurately.

  One way  to  determine  the crystal drive level is  to  model  it in
  SPICE. You can determine the input signal fairly accurately, and the
  component values  and  strays can be measured  reasonably  well. The
  problem is  the  long  startup  and settling  time  needed  to  do a
  Transient Analysis to view the crystal and circuit waveforms.

  Because of this, most designers were forced to use low-Q versions of
  the crystal  and inject a pulse to help the  oscillator  start. They
  still had  to wait for it to settle, which could  take  thousands of
  cycles and take a long time in SPICE. Also, the low-Q version of the
  crystal has  a much higher motional capacitance,  so  the simulation
  does not give the correct crystal current.

  I have  developed a method of starting the  oscillator  instantly at
  the proper drive level. The method is very simple, has no  effect on
  the normal  operation of the circuit, works with any  high-Q circuit
  modeled as  LCR, is very easy to adjust, and allows you to  run only
  10 or  20  cycles in Transient Analysis. This  is  perhaps  4,000 to
  8,000 times faster than previous methods. Here's the url:

  http://silversol.freewebpage.org/spice/xtal/clapp.htm

Regards,

Mike Monett

List FAQ wiki page is located at: