[SI-LIST] Re: Effective Radius of Decoupling Capacitor

  • From: Jack Si <sij99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 06:26:42 -0700 (PDT)

Istavan,
Thanks for the valuable in-depth info.

Thanks,

Jack

________________________________
 From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: sij99@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:18 PM
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Effective Radius of Decoupling Capacitor

Jack,

The short column cited in my previous message gives the expressions
people use in these arguments, but there are other important aspects
that the short column due to lack of space did not touch upon.  None of
the usual arguments around service area seem to care about the question
whether the charge available within the service radius is enough for the
load.  And an even more basic question: why do we care where the charge
comes from? Why do we want all of the charge for a load transient to
come from a capacitor at a specific location?  Again, in the old days,
using very few capacitors and mostly traces for PDN, ignoring these
questions made a little more sense.  But if you consider another
extreme, a magic transmission line, matched, with its characteristic
impedance  matching the target impedance for the PDN, charge will flow
as the load demands and we never have to worry about where the charge is
coming from.

Regarding bulk capacitors, the same considerations apply, just the
numbers going into these considerations will be different based on the
frequency band we expect to cover with the bulk capacitors. Most of the
time this means that bulk capacitors have less restrictions in
placement, though when a large amount of current flows, we still need to
be careful not to let that current flow over large distances even if the
static and dynamic voltage drops otherwise would vbe acceptable on the
PDN, simply because traveling a larger distance the transient noise
current would then have more possibility to couple into a sensitive area.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

List forum  is accessible at: