[SI-LIST] Re: EM simulator software?

  • From: ttsp@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:33:47 -0500

Rafael,

I agree with DG's and Jason's comment on HFSS. I began using HFSS this May,
there is a very deep learning curve. You need to invest a lot of time before
you can really use the tool. I even attended their training class in July,
but the training class is useless to me. Did not help me to understand
better about the tool, but more confussing about how it handles and
simulates a 3D structure.

The 3D modeler in HFSS is another bad design. One cannot even drag and drop
an object. Every move of an object needs to type in the moving distance
manually. The shorcut key is another bad design. Some functions/commands are
used repeatedly, but don't have shortcut keys, so one have to go the top
menu bar, pull down the menu, and select the function repeatedly. I believe
the GUI definitly needs to be improved in their future release.

The manual of HFSS is brief and most likely one can get confussing about the
wording. Since the manual is not written in detail, I have to keep asking
Ansoft AE for various questions. Another comment about their AE's, some of
them are just not experienced enough. If you are lucky, your local AE may
explain most of your questions.

The good side is its accuracy. It matches the lab measurement pretty well.
Overall, I have lots of furstration of using HFSS before a good simulation
is obtained. If you have time or someone can teach you, and if you
understand microwave & RF deeply, HFSS is definitly an accurate 3D full wave
tool to be considered.

Tim

From: "Rafael Martinez" <rmartinez@xxxxxx>

> Hello SI-List,
>
> We are investigating packages, interconnects, antennas and PCB components
> such as spiral inductors, capacitors... We are currently reviewing various
> 3D EM simulators such as HFSS, sonnet and Eagleware. Does anybody have any
> previous experience with them? and which of them would you recommend?
Thank
> you very much in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rafael Martinez Catala                Rossa Avenue, Bishopstown,
> Postgraduate Research Student         Cork, Ireland
>
> Cork Institute of Technology          Fax: +353 21 4326625
> Electronic Engineering Dep.           Tel: +353 21 4326881
>
> http://www.cit.ie

Daniel
ZZZ-dgun-ZZZ-@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(remove the Z-'s to reply--they're what I do when I read spam)

List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: