[SI-LIST] Re: Driver Output Impedance am I doing this correctly?

  • From: "Dennis Han" <Dennis.Han@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ericsilist@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:24:51 -0600

Yes, I do use a lossy line and the real length when I have an application,
but I use the lossless line to get an idea of what FPGA or ASIC driver to
assign to an output pin.  Then I have an idea of what the output impedance
is of the various drivers.  Your method would work well, too, and probably
better if the driver has an output impedance that is higher than Z0.

I should have mentioned that another way to use my method would be to change
Z0 until the signal at the end of the line matches what was sent from the
Thevenin voltage source, i.e., a square wave with amplitude VDD.  Then Zout
= Z0.

Dennis