[SI-LIST] Re: Driver Output Impedance am I doing this correctly?

  • From: "Dennis Han" <Dennis.Han@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ericsilist@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:37:54 -0600

The best method is to give the customer a SPICE model and let him figure out
the output impedance based on his frequency of operation and application.
The method I prefer ties an ideal open transmission line to the driver.  I
like to make the length a few inches, but long enough so it is easy to see
the voltage transitions at the end of the line.  Then solve for Zout:

Vout = 2 x VDD x Z0 / (Z0 + Zout)

where Vout is the pedestal at the end of the line and assuming VDD for a
CMOS driver (for other driver types, use the voltage that would be used in a
Thevenin equivalent of the driver)

Using a resistor to ground rather than an open transmission line keeps the
DC currents high, which can change the output impedance.  In most
applications, the DC currents are low, but use a topology that makes sense
for the application.  Hence, I prefer getting the SPICE model.

Dennis