[SI-LIST] Re: Direction of displacement curent

  • From: "Antonis Orphanou" <orphanou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "long.0.yang@xxxxxxxxx" <long.0.yang@xxxxxxxxx>, "mervin.jacob@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mervin.jacob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:01:54 +0000

There is a more unified assumption to the general current density concept.
In a hypothetical general volume, charges will move when forces act on them. If
that force is constant and it's time derivative is zero, then the current is
only conduction. If that charge accelerates with time (and the force time
derivative is not zero) then that yields displacement current. Free charge will
give rise to conduction currents and free charge can only exist and move in the
direction along the metallic trace. That requires an E-field along the trace
and hence the quazi-TEM assumption.

Polarization charges can only exists between the trace and it's return path and
those give rise to displacement current when a force is acted on it.
The polarization current direction is from the trace to the return path. When a
moving charge can no longer move it behaves just like a polarization charge.

Maxwell's equations predict that both the conduction and displacement currents
are in the same direction as the E-field; Given the fact that we have E-field
in both the vertical and parallel to trace directions, we should also account
for the mechanisms that can sustain those two current concepts and we will see
that in the pcb trace case we can sustain displacement current in the vertical
and conduction current in the longitudinal trace directions.