[SI-LIST] Re: Differential Impedance of PCB Vias

  • From: "Ing. Giancarlo Guida" <gianguida@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hirshtal Itzhak <ihirshtal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:23:47 +0100

Itzhak,
it would be very nice to have a simple formula
also for complicated structure...but as you are experiencing
this is not always possible.

But there  other good reasons to justify the effort
to model a differential via by using a 3D solver:

1) you could make a parametric model and have a look on what
really matter in the behavior of your via
i.e you may have a look inside the physics of your problem
2) once you have done it you can re-use the via model
for several different design
3) even you will find a formula that will help you today
you will need a 3D solver tomorrow when you data-rate will be higher...
so may be it is good idea jump on simulator ship today...:-)))

Regards
Giancarlo

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: